Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Multiple Chemical Sensitivity

First - to give any fellow PWC a chuckle - I had to look up on google how to spell sensitivity for the post title - 5 months ago - I would have had no problem at all.

Moving along..............

Cusp (thanks again) - mentioned in a comment about being aware of chemicals etc.

I have recently noticed (within the last 2 months) that I am more sensitive to certain chemicals and sounds. I am no longer able to use many cleaning solutions - I used even 4 months ago with no problems. Several women in my office wear perfume, previously I never noticed it at all, now it will send me into a blinding headache, burning eyes, gagging, dizzy nightmare.

Is this normal for CFIDS are does it travel along with it? Previously some chemicals (namely bleach and any other STRONG chemicals) would cause increased bladder pain for me - but this new symptom is quite alarming. Especially since it seems to be increasing (along with everything else of course).

3 comments:

  1. It's not uncommon for us to develop such sensitivities. I had to change my soap and cleaning products etc. My observation has been that all my senses have become sensitive, new food allergies, sensitive to light and sound and also to cold. So yep! it's all part of the joy, hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to have to agree with Lee. Sensitivities often (not always) increase. Try switching to unperfumed everything for personal care and then seek out either eco products for cleaning or use old kitchen recipes: white vinegar, baking soda, lemon juice.

    http://www.foe.co.uk/living/articles/cleaning_costs.html

    It does help.

    Sadly there's not much you can do about other people's stuff -- perfumes, the scent form other people's washing powder on their clothes all make me feel ill.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Lee Lee and Cusp:

    Well, at least I know it is somewhat normal for sensitivities to increase. Personally, I use fragrance free - gentle - body wash, and low fragrance shampoo and conditioner. I do not use candles or air freshners at home. I am having some problems with cleaning products (when did Lysol wipes become so STRONG for example - they literally knock me out almost). I will definately check out the link for some eco products I can use instead.

    Yes, other people's stuff is a struggle - and I recently had to personally stop using fabric softner on my clothes at home.

    ReplyDelete